Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sausage, Spinach, and Quail Egg Breakfast Salad


I know this sounds really weird, and also involves frozen pre-cooked sausage patties, but it has been working for me recently.  This combination came to me in an extreme moment of hunger that suddenly attacked me.  I started scavenging the fridge and pantry trying to come up with something that felt substantial and that was super quick.  The results of my kitchen raid included spinach, turkey sausage patties, some leftover baguette, and two quail eggs.  So I thought about it a bit, realized I could throw some spinach in a bowl, dress it a bit, place the sausage on top, and then the fried eggs.  I mean, what isn’t better with a fried egg on top?  I was quite wary about the taste of all this together, but when hunger calls, usually anything will do.  I actually liked it!   Then I found myself making it again and again, morning after morning, and I realized I was actually eating a salad for breakfast – which is odd for me.  I’m not generally thrilled to eat them at dinner. But apparently if you give it to me in the morning I’m excited, feeling oh so rebellious, subverting some unspoken food norms about appropriate breakfast foods… 

Ingredients 
1 cup spinach
1 tablespoon chopped scallion
handful of sliced grape tomatoes
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 patties (or links) cooked breakfast turkey sausage (so we get these frozen precooked ones that you just pop in the microwave for like a minute; they are so useful to us! But obviously you can use any form of breakfast sausage that you want)
2 fried quail eggs (or one regular egg)*
pinch sea salt
pinch red pepper flakes
2 toasted baguette slices for serving

Instructions
Place the spinach, scallions, and tomatoes in a bowl.  Drizzle the red wine vinegar and olive oil and toss a bit.  Sprinkle black pepper.  Place the cooked sausage links over that.  Place your fried egg over that, then sprinkle it with a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes. Slice and toast baguette, and spread a bit of butter on one side.  

*To fry the egg, melt butter in skillet on medium heat.  Crack egg into skillet and fry just until egg white is cooked, or sunny-side up, roughly 1 minute.

33 comments:

  1. I'm sure this made for an excellent breakfast but I could eat this at any time of the day. Fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic and I'm sure tasted even better. Beautiful photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A scrumptious salad for breakfast...who knew?! Eggs are brilliant at taking something healthy and lavishly turning into something that actually tastes good. (I wish I had quail eggs casually wating in my fridge at any given moment!) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, i should probably point out that i don't usually have quail eggs just casually standing by in the fridge, it was a freak occurrence

      Delete
  4. What a unique breakfast idea - I think I would probably enjoy salad for breakfast as well - and fried eggs improve everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had quail rggs just laying around? You are my hero! GREG

    ReplyDelete
  6. This delicious meal looks so well balanced! Getting all the food groups in there and having them go together so well can be a daunting task. However, you have mastered it quite deliciously. I am ready to have this for dinner-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't sound weird to me! I love quail eggs.It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those toasted baguette pieces are just singing to me. Can't even focus on anything else

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salad for breakfast??? Yes please! I say, "GENIUS!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one fancy breakfast salad! I could eat that anytime of the day or night! Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A salad for the breakfast?! wow..I for sure love the idea and recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this dish looks great! Glad I stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful looking salad - and for brekkie no less :D
    Awesome idea!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a treat! That is a breakfast fit for a king or queen. I'm drooling now...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would love that for brunch ;-)... looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a rebel :) I've never tried quail eggs before, looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wouldn't mind having this for my breakfast! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love quail eggs! I always use them to wow people at parties and they never fail to! I love this salad of yours and am head over heels with how EVERYTHING is in proportion! Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your post! Food norms are powerful and hard to break. I say if it's healthy then eat it whenever you want. Time of day is irrelevant. Happy holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely n healthy bfast ..nice pic

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really love spinach and eggs for breakfast! I just wish I could find quail eggs locally.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a breakfast-eater type of person...Wouldn't be complete without the eggs. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a great way to start your day...breakfast looks absolutely delicious !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love big savory breakfast like this. I usually eat a big meal for breakfast and this sounds so perfect~~~~! Quail eggs are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Salad for breakfast, eh? Well...why not! Sounds like a great combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all that protein for breakfast! And have a serious addiction to eggs... yum! Never had quail eggs though? Where do you even find those? Awesome looking breakfast salad!! I'd order that a restaurant any day :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Job well done guys, quality information. simple recipes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...